|Title||Medical Records Specialist|
The Medical Records Specialist serves as the custodian of records and HIPAA Privacy Contact Person and is responsible for maintaining the confidentiality, completeness, and accuracy of the medical records in accordance with policies and procedures and within the guidelines of the American Medical Records Association guidelines and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). The MRS is primarily responsible for responding to request from attorneys, patients, physicians and insurance companies, etc. for copies of the medical record.
B. PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Serves as the custodian of records and HIPAA Privacy Contact Person.
2. Maintains a working knowledge of HIPAA rules and regulations; disseminate information as appropriate and be able to apply them to day-to-day operations.
3. Maintains working knowledge of LA Medical Records laws.
4. Oversees, manages, and ensures the maintenance and organization of medical records per organizational policies and procedures.
5. Ensure new and existing staff members responsible for medical record functions are trained to perform their job functions.
6. Oversee and actively participate in the annual review/revision of medical records protocols and policies and procedures as needed.
7. Observes confidentiality and safeguards all patient related information.
8. Responsible for coordinating, processing and managing the release of medical information to patients, insurance companies, lawyers, state, federal agencies., etc.
9. Responsible for processing of subpoenas and court orders.
10. Responsible for coordinating, processing and managing patient form (i.e., disability, home health, etc.) completion requests and payment.
11. Ensures that all requests for records are stamped with date received and logged.
12. Handles record requests via phone, fax and mail and responds to requests for medical records, providing copies according to organizational policy and procedure.
13. Maintains and update record requests fee schedules.
14. Oversees the revision and development of agency forms as the need arises.
15. Audits clinical records of active patients as directed by the Quality Department for compliance with accepted professional and legal standards.
16. Compiles monthly reports to summarize audit efforts for monitoring.
17. Assists with special projects, i.e., external record reviews, preparing chart information for payers, questionnaires, etc.
18. Maintains Correspondence and Medical Records Tracking Log
19. Prepares and provides monthly reports (i.e., dashboard) of medical records activities and performance.
20. Fosters positive interpersonal relationships with other staff members.
21. Practices effective teamwork.
22. Orients staff on medical records processes, policies and procedures.
23. Maintains adequate coverage of service.
24. Follows federal, state, and local policies, procedures and programs relating to health and safety in the workplace.
25. Ensures compliance with the Quality Assurance/Improvement Plan.
26. Maintains confidentiality of workplace information according to the policies and procedures of the center.
27. Provides excellent customer service.
28. Monitors medical records/referral fax machine for incoming faxes and distributes to appropriate department.
29. Assists with scanning forms completed by the provider into patients’ charts.
30. Performs other duties as assigned by Chief of Quality Performance and Improvement.
1. Applicant is required to have a high school diploma. Associate degree and/or certification (i.e. RHIA, RHIT) preferred.
2. 5 or more years of Medical Records management, operations and request processing experience required. 2 years or more supervisory experience required.
3. Experience utilizing Word, PowerPoint and Excel and an electronic medical records system.
4. Advanced knowledge of medical records procedures and laws. Intermediate knowledge of HIPAA privacy rule and medical terminology.
5. Strong team-based, results oriented, analytical and problem-solving skills s must.
6. Knowledge of healthcare laws, regulations, and standards.
7. Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
8. Able to organize, prioritize and work independently as well as schedule and produce work in a timely manner.
9. Required to travel amongst all CareSouth sites.
Medical Records Clerk
1. Visual acuity – always.
2. Hand – eye coordination – always.
3. Work is primarily sedentary. Large amounts of time may be spent using a PC and MIS application.
4. Lifting approximately 10-15 lbs, Pushing, Pulling – sometimes.
5. Stooping, Bending, Sitting, Standing – sometimes.
6. Walking- frequent; short distances.
7. Must be capable of standing on a step stool and reaching above head and shoulder area.
F. WORK ENVIRONMENT:
1. Indoor, environmentally controlled.
2. Exposure to disease or infections.
3. Exposure to artificial and/or natural light.
Please submit a completed employment application found at www.caresouth.org/jobs or the HR office, resume, and credentials via email to email@example.com or deliver to the HR office. CSMD is an EOE.
CLOSING: This announcement will remain open until filled.